9th – 13th November 2020
Maths Week England aims to:
1. Raise the profile of mathematics throughout England
2. Change the conversation about maths in the population at large to be more positive
3. Enable children and adults from all social and economic backgrounds to access and enjoy interesting mathematical experiences
4. Support teachers to plan special low-cost high-impact maths activities at their own schools during Maths Week
5. Encourage Higher-Education centres to invite schoolchildren to visit for maths events, in order to raise aspirations and encourage a higher take-up of the study of maths at A-level and university
6. Make maths accessible and enjoyable for people who thought it was an elitist subject for ‘clever’ people: to ‘love and enjoy’ is a worthy goal!
During Maths Week the children took part in lots of fun Maths activities; some outdoors, some indoors and some in the school’s Forest School site. It was a fabulous week concluded with a special assembly celebrating the children’s work and awarding children; Clever Calculation, Rapid Reasoning and Marvellous Mathematician.
Maths Workshop in Swallow Class
Useful websites to use at home:
www.oxfordowl.co.uk – resources and programmes you can use at home
www.conkermaths.com (need Abode Flash Player on computer)
www.sumdog.com – tailored games for children
The school subscribes to Mathletics and all children are issued with personal log ins.
This exciting resource is used by teachers to set homework and support learning taking place in school. It also has a number of great online games were children can pitch themselves against other children throughout the World. The site is protected and children’s details are not shared.
Access the site here http://uk.mathletics.com/
Yealand CE Primary School Mathematics Policy